The hotel business is booming. It was predicted that it would reach $550 billion in revenue in 2016, up from just $395 billion in 2009. Some of the leading hotel chains based on number of rooms worldwide as of April 2016 include :
- Marriott International Inc (NASDAQ:MAR) (1.11 million rooms),
- Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc (NYSE:HLT) (751,000),
- InterContinental Hotels Group PLC (ADR) (NYSE:IHG) (744,000),
- Wyndham Worldwide Corporation (NYSE:WYN) (678,000),
- Choice Hotels International Inc (NYSE:CHH) (507,000).
The Europe and Asia Pacific regions are performing particularly well for these and other hotel companies, with occupancy rates of nearly 70% in 2014.